Evaluations - Small Sided Grid Play
What's tested: Receiving ball, Passing on move, Movement off the ball, and defensive positioning
How set up:
- Set up a 10x15yd grid outlined with cones.
- 3v3 with players wearing numbered pinnies. 2 sets of numbered pinnies are needed.
- Balls: U9/10/11/12 size 4, and U13/14 size 5
- Evaluator should have a supply of balls at his feet in case ball goes out of the area
- One team starts with the play and tries to keep possession of the ball primarily by passing the ball.
- Ball possession will shifts naturally between team A and team B, or be directed after by a coach.
- If the ball leaves the coned area, the team out of possession gets possession and coach will restart will pass into that team. This
- The drill should run for approximately 10-12 minutes.
- The next group to go will get ready by putting on pinnies.
- Players get a check mark if they demonstrate the following skills during the drill:
- Receive the ball with tight control.
- Pass the ball accurately to another player while moving.
- Move off the ball to support player in possession and/or move to penetrative position.
- Defend the passes looking for good positioning for an interception, closing down the player with the ball with proper technique (
- Each component will be scored as:
- (0) - Did not demonstrate skill at all
- (1) - Rarely (0-30% of the time)
- (2) - Occasionally(31-70% of the time)
- (3) - Consistently (71+% of the time)
Instructions to players:
- Keep possession of the ball.
- No hard tackling of opponents.
- You are being scored on passing on the move, receiving the ball with tight control, movement off the ball, defensive positioning.
- You are not being scored for dribbling or holding the ball so keep the ball moving.
- Make sure everyone gets touches on the ball.
Instructions to adjudicators
- Start the timer when the players are in the grid. Say go and pass ball to player.
- Let timer run for 4 minute and score if/when you see player perform requested skill.
- Let players know when time is up