Evaluations - Passing
What's tested: passing accuracy with each foot under pressure
How set up: Note that the dark circles in the drawing are either cones or corner flags and the empty circles are simply used to help measure distances.
- The player area is 4 yards wide by 5 yards long
- Distance from the middle of the front edge of the player area to each gate is 12 yards for U11 thru U14 and 10 yards for U9 & U10.
- Each gate is 3 yards wide, corner flags are used to make the gates. Using corner flags removes the problem that will arise if the ball were to hit a cone.
- Approximately 20 balls are needed at the bottom of the player area
- Need 2 people to catch the balls â€“ they should hold onto them until the player is done.
- Player starts facing the gates with a ball at their feet, upon start they will pass that pall through one of the gates. (left foot as the example through the right gate)
- They immediately return to get another ball, set it up, and then try to pass through the left-hand gate with their right foot.
- They keep alternating between the right and left gates for 1 minute (adjudicator does the timing).
- Passes made from beyond the end of the player area do not count!
- Passes with the wrong foot do not count.
- Left foot: number of balls that go through the right-hand gate
- Right foot: number of balls that go through the left-hand gate
Instructions to players:
- Can't pass balls that go beyond the end of the player area
- Use the left foot to pass the ball through the right-hand gate, then the right foot to pass the ball through the left-hand gate
- Speed is important, but accuracy is even more important
- Before making the pass, look at the gate and plant your foot properly to make a good pass
Instructions to adjudicators
- Start the timer when player starts (either the player or the adjudicator can say "go"), and let it run for 1 minute. Let the player know when the 1 minute is up.
- Ball must be kicked before time is up to count
- For each foot individually, count the number of balls that make it through the gates. Ball must be kicked with the correct foot to count.